International Association of Shin Buddhist Studies (IASBS)
The International Association of Shin Buddhist Studies (IASBS) was founded in 1982 with the objective of developping Shin Buddhist Studies (Jodo-Shinshu)
and facilitating exchange of views and information among its members.
It is the only worldwide organization focused on Jodo Shinshu and Pure Land Buddhist studies.
The members include not only academics, priests, and laypersons affiliated with Shin Buddhism but also those of other academic expertise and religious tradition.
The IASBS welcomes participation of those with wide range of interests and specialization within and beyond Pure Land Buddhism.
> IASBS Website (includes Members-only site)
The IASBS is on Facebook : IASBS Communication Board
- Excerpts from the IASBS Bylaws :
3. This Association shall engage in such scholarly activities as holding conferences, research meetings, and seminars; publication of both scholarly and general materials,
including books, pamphlets, and newsletters; and other activities deemed appropriate by the steering committee.
5. Association members shall receive without charge The Pure Land : Journal of Pure Land Buddhism and regular Association publications, newsletters, and notices.
Special Association publications will be available at a charge.
- IASBS has the following six districts with respective representatives and officers :
- Japan District (also IASBS Headquarters)
- Hawaii District
- North American District
- European District
- South American District
- Oceania and East Asia District
European Representative : Dr Jerome Ducor (University of Lausanne)
- E-mail : jeduc(at)yahoo.com
European Treasurer : Dr Kenneth Mullen (University of Glasgow)
- E-mail : kenneth.mullen(at)glasgow.ac.uk
- Tel : + 44 141 211 3932
- Fax: + 44 141 211 0356
- Postal address :
Dr Kenneth Mullen
The Academic Center
Gartnavel Royal Hospital,
1055 Great Western Road,
Glasgow G12 0XH,
- Membership :
- Regular members, who are entitled to participate in conferences and other Association activities, to read papers (as a rule, in English) and join discussions at these activities,
and to contribute articles to Association publications.
- Student members, who have the same privileges as regular members.
- Supporting members. These are individuals or organizations who, sympathetic to the purposes of this Association, wish to give financial assistance.
They have the same privileges as regular members.
- Life members, who, through the payment of the life membership fee, have the privileges of lifelong regular membership.
- Membership fee for one year :
- Life membership : EUR 900.-
- Regular members : EUR 30.-
- Student members : EUR 20.-
- Supporting members : EUR 90.- or multiple thereof
Members from the European District shall pay their fees to the European District's Treasurer.
The IASBS annually publishes The Pure Land : Journal of Pure Land Buddhism (ISSN 0911-7660), an academic journal in English that contains articles (many from papers presented at these conferences),
essays, translations, and book reviews.
This is the only scholarly journal specifically dedicated to the study of Pure Land Buddhism.
Subscriptions to the Journal are available trough membership in the IASBS.
All the past volumes of the Journal are currently being put up online with the American Theological Association Series.
- The association also publishes a Newsletter twice a year.
- The biennial IASBS conferences have been held every even years since 1983, in Japan, U.S.A. and Canada.
The biennial IASBS European Branch Conferences have been convened every odd years jointly with the Conferences of European Shinshu Communities since 1986 :
- 2014, September 1-2, 4 : Southampton (UK), Chomon House
- 2012, August 31 - September 2 : Düsseldorf (D), Eko-Haus
- 2011, September 8-11 : European Shinshu Pilgrimage to Shinran Shonin's 750th Memorial and IABC Conference, Kyoto (J)
- 2008, August 26-29 : Bad Reichenhall (D), Shindo
- 2006, August 22-25 : Düsseldorf (D), Eko-Haus
- 2004, August 24-27 : Antwerpen (B), Jikoji
- 2002, September 3-4 : Lausanne (CH), Lausanne University
- 2000, August 22-24 : Düsseldorf (D), Eko-Haus
- 1998, August 5-9 : Oxford (GB), University of Oxford, Wadham College
- 1996, August 5-8 : Düsseldorf (D), Eko-Haus
- 1994, August 5-6 : Wien (Oe), Wien Universität
- 1992, September 3-5 : Düsseldorf (D), Eko-Haus
- 1990, August 21-23 : Wien (Oe), Wien Universität
- 1988, July 25-26 : Berlin (D), Hamburg Hotel
- 1986, July 16-17 : Antwerpen (B), Jikoji
Pure Land Buddhist Studies Directory
European Jodo-Shinshu Directories